October 10, 2023
PUI all around the world
With its 40 years of experience, Première Urgence Internationale :
Supports close to 6 millions beneficiaries
With more than 100 Millions € yearly budget
Present in 22 countries, on 5 continents
Thanks to the work and commitment of :
More than 2000 national staffs
Around 200 expatriates from 45 different nationalities
And 90 employees at HQ
PUI works in 10 areas of intervention and distinguishes itself by the implementation of an integrated approach in its response. This method aims to identify and understand the needs of all those affected by a crisis. Our teams come together to bring a rapid global response to the basic needs of populations affected by humanitarian crises to help them regain independence and dignity.
Learn more on our history, our values, our areas of intervention.
Focus on our activities in Afghanistan
Our mission in Afghanistan has been open since 1980. PUI is developing its integrated approach in Health, Nutrition, MHPSS and Water-Hygiene-Sanitation. In addition, PUI works on a fixed-site intervention via primary health centers or first aid centers, in support of certain hospitals, or via the deployment of mobile clinics in the most remote areas. Today, the mission consists of 6 main projects, some of which are linked.
What about the Head of Mission - Afghanistan ?
As Head of Mission, you will be responsible for the smooth functioning and the development of the mission.
For this purpose, you will be responsible for :
- Safety & Security: You will be responsible for the safety & security of the mission.
- Programmes: You will coordinate the teams and ensure that the programmes implemented on the mission are properly carried out. You will also monitor needs and suggest new operations and development tracks for the mission.
- Human Resources: You will ensure that the mission is adequately staffed and supervise the teams (defining objectives, follow-up).
- Logistical, administrative and financial monitoring: You will ensure that logistical and administrative practices in place respect PUI procedures and formats and are in compliance with donors’ rules and regulations.
- Medical and technical monitoring: You will ensure that medical and technical practices respect PUI’s procedures and formats and are in compliance with PUI’s operational framework and policy.
- Representation: You will represent the association in its relations with partners, donors, the media and different authorities.
- Relations with Headquarters: You will ensure that information is properly circulated between Headquarters and the field and ensure that due dates are respected.
The challenges that await you :
- risks management related to the expansion process, the deteriorating humanitarian context tightly connected to a broader political environment, and evolving relationships with the IEA/TB authorities;
- continuous strengthening of the capacity of the mission in light of brain drain
-security and access that involves heavy and constant negotiations with variety of actors
What you will need to succeed
You hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Humanitarian action: project management, a technical background related to one of our activity sectors, in human resources management, financial management…
Strengthened by minimum 3 years of experience in the field with international NGOs in project coordination, you master international team management, the project cycle and security management. A previous experience as Head of Mission or in an equivalent position would be appreciated. You already worked with Première Urgence Internationale? It would be a definite asset!
You master humanitarian project management and team management, you have a detailed knowledge of donors prerequisites. You also have excellent writing skills.
You are a good communicator, both in writing and orally. You demonstrate good team spirit, leadership skills and the ability to make decisions, trustworthiness and a sense of responsibility, organisational skills, reactivity, ability to be thorough and to adapt. You have a strong resistance to stress and particularly in unstable circumstances.
English has no secrets for you! All the better, it is mandatory for this position. If you speak Arabic and/or French, it would be a definite asset.
Please note that vaccination against Covid-19 is mandatory for this country for security and safety reasons. Compliant vaccines are those validated by the World Health Organization.
A word from the manager
« A demanding context that offers a lifetime experience within the humanitarian sector. Very positive team dynamics focused on supporting each other and making sure that PUI makes a difference for the communities we serve to. Comfortable accommodation set up with the care of physical and mental wellbeing despite objective/external limitations. »